I have been working in the wellness/fitness industry for 4 years.
Since starting as a fitness meme maker and working my way up to a science communicator, I have learned a lot about what it takes to solve some of the biggest problems people face in our industry. In fact, they are a lot easier to solve than most people think. You just need to change how you’re thinking about them.
Here they are, and how to potentially solve them:
- We focus too much on the individual:
- Health is a collective activity. We often play sports with other people, spot each other on lifts, and hold each other accountable. But some of us are too quick to blame individual actions for health outcomes. These outcomes are a bit complex and a variety of factors can influence them such as socioeconomic status, access, psychological wellbeing, and more.
- Health influencers are alarmists:
- How many times have you been told to avoid x food or y exercise? While some health influencers mean well they can quickly cause unnecessary stress about particular foods and activities. Remember, not one size fits all.
- We tend to chase fads:
- When the latest diet trend comes out everyone tries it. When new wonky exercise equipment is sold people buy it. However, we need to remember outside of the trends and fads the basics work just as well if not better. So, eat your fruits/veggies and continue to do your compound lifts.
See? That wasn’t so hard.
Read this post and more on my Typeshare Social Blog